Thursday, April 22, 2010

Herb Class

Yesterday, I went to a Relief Society Activity that was about growing and using herbs. It was good and bad.

The Good:
The sister who taught it made some awesome recipes using fresh herbs. We had crackers with Artichoke-Herb Cream Cheese spread, cantaloupe with a mint-citrus dressing, shrimp with cilantro-mayonnaise dip, and chocolate mint-infused water. It was all so delicious. I learned a lot and I got to bring home a little basil plant and a tomato plant. Now I just have to get pots and soil for them.

The Bad:
The class was during the time Mitchell is at school, so I had to bring Joseph. I found out when we got there that children weren't really invited. At first he was really good, but then he got bored. He was crawling everywhere, trying to get into stuff, and generally distracting everyone from the class. I had to go into another room for a little while because he was just so distracting. I felt really bad about it. But what else are the young mothers like me supposed to do? Not go to any classes? We have a lot of moms like me with young kids, but all of us have callings in Primary, and everyone in Relief Society is past the stage of having kids younger than 13. They seem to frequently forget what it's like for the rest of us. I can't get a babysitter when they have the class at 1 in the afternoon because everyone is in school at that time, except Joseph. They almost never have babysitting available at Relief Society activities, even though the Stake President has told them to a few times. They keep saying they'll do it, but they don't. It's really frustrating. Hopefully, my new ward in Provo will be better about this.

1 comment:

  1. I feel like I could have written this post. I feel the exact same way, it's gotten to the point I don't ever go to relief society activities b/c it's so hard for me to get sitters and they dont have a nursery. I hope provo will be better for you, atleast there will be more people with kids so more chances for a nursery!

    ReplyDelete