Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Book Reviews

I'm going to review my first 10 books, so that if anyone is interested they can read them, too.

1. The Fellowship of the Ring - Recommended: Yes. I really liked reading this. I never attempted it when I was younger and finally decided to. I liked a lot of the stuff that wasn't included in the movies. I'm struggling to finish Two Towers, though (I've been working on it since January). I always have a hard time with the movie, too. I think that the part with Sam and Frodo travelling is so boring.

2. Pyramids - Recommended: Yes! I LOVE Terry Pratchett. Mitchell introduced me to his books when we got married. He's one of the only authors that Mitchell will read because it has to be really captivating to get his attention. Terry Pratchett is sarcastic and cynical in a hilarious way. His books are parodies of our world and they are so great. I recommend starting with The Color of Magic first because it is the first book. And just like Harry Potter, the first 2 or 3 chapters can be hard to get through, but once you do, it's worth it.

3. Enchantment - Recommended: No. It was an interesting retelling of the Sleeping Beauty story and I liked that part. The reason that I don't recommend it is 1) the language and 2) lots of inappropriate parts, to put it delicately. I think it ruined the book even more for me because I know that Orson Scott Card is a member of the Church. My sister-in-law actually works for him and is best friends with his daughter. She's gone to Sacrament Meeting with him! He should know better.

4. A Telling of the Tales - Recommended: Sure, if you like fairy tales. It was a lot of short stories about different fairy tales and tall tales. I like the style of the author. I thought the Sleeping Beauty re-telling was funny. And I really liked reading the stories about Paul Bunyan and John Henry.

5. Spindle's End - Recommended: Yes. It was great! I just really liked the way it was written. I liked the way that magic was portrayed. I liked the ending.

6. Bobbi Brown Beauty - Recommended: Yes. It's the first of her books, and if you were only going to read one, I'd recommend the most recent one, but it's still really good. It has a lot of tips and tricks that the other ones don't have.

7. Never After - Recommended: Yes. It was hilarious. It pulled together many different fairy tales and put funny spins on them. The only part I didn't like was the names of the characters. Many of them seemed like tongue twisters. Even if I'm not reading it out loud, I'm still reading it in my head and I don't want to constantly stumble over names.

8. Kissing the Witch - Recommended: No. I didn't like it at all. I don't even know why I finished it. It was interesting because the author tied together many different fairy tales, but other than that I hated it.

9. Untold Tales - Recommended: Yeah. Another collection of short stories. All of the fairy tales were given a funny twist and then tied together in the end.

10. Bobbi Brown Beauty Evolution - Recommended: Yes. Her second book. I like that she includes a chapter for all the different decades of ages, all the way up to 70 years! And she has a good chapter on pregnancy.

2 comments:

  1. Kat, I didn't know you liked fairy tales so much. If you ever want some good fairy tale recommendations, let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found all these fairy tales on the website you posted, surlalunefairytales.com! I think my love of fairy tales started when I was a little girl from 2 things, 1)Grandma would read Hans Christian Andersen's tales to me in her bed and 2)my mom had us grow up as Disney kids, almost the only movies we watched were Disney's fairy tales. My favorite is Sleeping Beauty.

    ReplyDelete