Friday, January 1, 2010

Sleep Troubles

I posted about this a while back.

Joseph doesn't know how to fall asleep on his own. I didn't feel like I could follow Carianne's method because we share a room with Joseph and we have to walk through the bedroom to get to the bathroom and other things; it's an area of heavy traffic.

Tonight I decided to try again. I followed his normal bedtime routine and then at exactly 8 PM I put him in his crib. He screamed. 5 minutes later I went in and rocked him until he calmed down. I put his "sleep song" on my iPod and then started it on repeat in the bedroom. I put him in bed. He immediately started trying to get out. I left him in there for almost 10 minutes. Then I rocked him some more. It took a long time for him to calm down. And then I couldn't bring myself to put him back in there. I felt like I was punishing him and he wasn't even being bad. So I rocked him some more and then he fell asleep. Now he's asleep in his crib.

I don't know what to do. I don't mind putting him to bed as much as I mind the multiple night time wakings. Last night, we went to bed really late (3:30 AM). Just as we were both falling asleep Joseph woke up. It took us until 4:30 AM to get him back to sleep. He still wants to nurse 3-4 times during the night. And he's a year old now! I'm just to soft, I guess...

On a good note, today was a pretty great day. Especially considering that I only got about 4 1/2 hours of sleep. So far the new year is going pretty well.

1 comment:

  1. Relax. Enjoy the time you have with him while he needs and adores you!

    He'll eventually stop nursing in the night. He'll eventually sleep through the night.
    He'll also eventually stop needing you and adoring you so much.

    It won't be on your schedule as much as on his. Pray about him and do as the Spirit suggests.

    ReplyDelete