Friday, January 29, 2010

Fire!

One evening about 2 weeks ago, I unintentionally did something that upset Mitchell. Then he felt like I wasn't sincerely sorry because of something I said. And to top it all off, I was so exhausted that I fell asleep before we had worked things out all the way. The next morning, I put Joseph in his high chair with some food and some bacon in the oven (I think it tastes better that way, plus it's easier to cook). I realized that Mitchell was still really upset. I went into our room to have a very teary talk. The timer for the bacon went off, but I was so upset I didn't notice. After a couple minutes, Joseph started to yell because he wanted more food. Mitchell told me to go finish feeding the baby. When I walked into the kitchen, I saw bright orange flames in my oven and my baby was in his high chair less than 2 feet from the oven. I immediately started to panic. Mitchell came in and took control of the situation, but he was so distracted by my panic that he wasn't even thinking clearly. He grabbed some baby blankets to protect his hands, put a couple sweatshirts on, and pulled the baking sheet with the bacon out of the oven and carried out the front door. Then he poured a big pot full of water on the bacon. Steam and grease shot everywhere, but he was okay. He then remembered that you should never use water to put out a grease fire (it was a few hours later that he remembered that you should use baking soda). He got me calmed down and then we started trying to clean up. the oven was all black with smoke, the cabinet door across from the oven (which for some stupid reason is unfinished wood) soaked up lots of oil and is ruined, smoking hot grease dropped on our carpet and melted little spots into a trail from the kitchen from the door, and my beautiful baking sheet that I took extremely good care of because it was a Christmas gift was scorched and warped. We are going to have to replace the carpet and the cabinet. I have to line my baking sheet with foil everytime I use it. But are very blessed that I found the fire when I did and that no one was hurt. It was a very stressful and exhausting day.

1 comment: