Thursday, January 28, 2010

The Best News Ever

A month ago, I posted about how our roommate put our apartment up for rent. I was devastated. I prayed and hoped and brainstormed trying to figure out ways to make things better. We didn't want to move back into my mother-in-law's. It would be very cramped and crowded there. So we started thinking about moving into my stepdad's. His renters were going to be moving out and he would have room. At the beginning of the month, our roommates started packing and moving out. I procrastinated. It drove them crazy, but I just did not want to leave. We kept discussing our options and decided against my stepdad's. It didn't feel right for our family at the time. We decided that we would move into my mother-in-law's and only stay until the apartment was rented out and then find a cheaper one that we could afford on our own. Our roommates moved out completely on the night of the 6th. As Aaron was leaving he made sure we would be out within a week. Mitchell and I stayed up very late discussing our options. And then we thought of an idea. What if I applied at Chick-Fil-A and worked in the mornings before Mitchell went to school? Then after more discussion the idea evolved into Mitchell deciding to go back and ask for his job back. If they hired him back, he'd have to well paying jobs and we'd be able to afford to stay in our apartment. We dragged our mattress into the empty bedroom and slept in our own bedroom for the first time in over a year (it was great!). Mitchell didn't sleep the entire night because he was going over all the possibilities of how the situation would go. Early in the morning, he went to talk to his friend, Cooper, who he'd worked with at Chick-Fil-A. And Cooper said that the managers would probably take him back because they needed someone with his knowledge. Later in the morning we went there and he talked to the manager, Jason. The store owner, Mr. Davis was at a funeral, so a decision couldn't be made immediately, but we'd find out within a couple days. The next 2 days were very nerve-wracking because our future depended on it. Finally, on Saturday, Mitchell went back in and Mr. Davis said he'd love to have Mitchell back and that they'd work him into the schedule as soon as possible! We worked things out with the realtor and got some help from a few family members for a new deposit and rent until Mitchell starts at Chick-Fil-A. We finally have our own place!! It's so amazing. We've been married for nearly 2 years and we've always lived with other people. Living here on our own is one of the greatest things that have happened since we've been married. Joseph finally has his own room and he's starting to learn to sleep on his own. I was able to wean him from nursing at night and we don't have to worry about making noise before noon because our roommates are sleeping. It's just so great and I could keep going about how great it is for hours, so I'm going to stop now. Just know that I'm extremely happy and eternally grateful for the way things have turned out.

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations! That is so amazing, and I am soooo happy for you! We had to live with in-laws, too, and I know how hard it can be! Woo-hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woo-hoo! Can't wait until we're back in our own place. There's nothing like it and I hope you love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is great news, i'm so happy that things are working out for you!

    ReplyDelete