Thursday, May 2, 2013

Searching for a Hobby

I think something important I've been learning is to have something for myself, to keep my "identity." It was recommended by my therapist, too. So, over the past week or two, Mitchell and I have been discussing a hobby for me. We are taking this a bit seriously because we want it to be successful. I have a tendency to start things, but never finish them, or even to do tons of research for something, but never actually start it. That is causing us to take our time to find something that I'm really interested in and capable of doing. As part of the process, Mitchell had me make a list of all the hobbies I could think of. He encouraged me to think outside the box and even put things that I probably wouldn't be able to do or even want to do, just to get the ideas flowing. Here's the list that I made (it's REALLY long):

  • photography
  • gardening
  • music - singing, piano, viola, etc.
  • running/marathon training
  • yoga
  • sewing
  • scrapbooking
  • cooking/baking
  • cake decorating
  • crocheting/knitting
  • beauty - trying new hair styles, makeup techniques, nail art tricks, etc.
  • get a pet
  • painting
  • drawing/sketching
  • woodworking
  • dance
  • beading/jewelry making
  • pottery
  • home design
  • home repair
  • housework
  • reading
  • writing
  • crafting
  • travel/sightseeing
  • learn a language
  • family history
  • blogging
  • journaling
  • cross-stitch
  • video games
  • watching movies/tv shows
  • quilting
  • fashion
  • party planning 
  • hiking
  • rock climbing
  • martial arts/kickboxing
  • model/dollhouse building
  • film/make videos
  • cycling
  • weight-lifting
  • swimming
  • auto mechanics
  • computer/technology stuff
  • camping
  • calligraphy
  • aviation
  • teaching
  • hang-gliding
  • volunteering
  • activism - charities, politics, causes, etc.
  • antiquing
  • surfing
  • scuba-diving
  • ballooning
  • learn a new instrument
  • landscaping
  • candle making
  • art - collage, pastel, sculpture, abstract, etc.
  • acting
  • shooting
  • hunting
  • taxidermy
  • floral arranging
  • glass blowing
  • stained glass
  • story-telling
  • study psychology
  • chemistry
  • astrology
  • astronomy
  • nutrition/diet science
  • art history
  • architecture
  • boating/sailing
  • racing
  • roleplaying
  • board gaming/ card games
  • basket weaving
  • collecting
  • puzzles - word, picture, number, etc.
  • play pool
  • horseback riding
Do you have any hobbies to add to this list?


1 comment:

  1. That is a pretty good comprehensive list. A lot of stores like Hobby Lobby and Joanns have classes for beginners and you could look into taking some to see what you enjoy. Also, rec centers for sports and such.

    I had a similar problem at one point and have tried many things. I don't have a set hobby but I always have a project of some sort that I can turn to when I need a break.

    ReplyDelete