Saturday, August 2, 2014

Yesterday's Interview

So, I'm going to give a few more details about the interviews that I've been doing. The company is called Veritas, Inc., and it happens to be the suite next door to Bento Box Entertainment, where Mitchell was working. It is a marketing company that contracts with AT&T. I was surprised when I got the call because I didn't remember applying to the company, and I later found out that CareerBuilder applied for me. I was intrigued because they offer training in business management, but it's paid. The HR Manager liked me at my first interview, so she had me come back the next day for a second interview. They do their second interviews a little differently than most people would imagine. I went in at 9:30 yesterday morning and spent the next 8 hours shadowing one of their trainers. Her name was Sarah, and we got along with each other really well, which was great. We drove out to Stockbridge and then we just went from business to business. Technically, it's a sales job., at least for the first few years. You get a list of leads, and they are all companies who have, or have had, AT&T. You go to their business and make sure they have been switched over from DSL to the new fiber optics internet. If they don't have AT&T anymore, you try to show them that AT&T is cheaper than what they have. Being with her the whole day, I was able to see all the different responses. She saved the first guy over $150 by switching him over. There were some people who just needed their equipment updated, so she sends a request in for them. Some people either weren't in charge of the internet bills, or they pretended that they didn't speak English. And some people said they hated AT&T and didn't want to talk to us. It made me wonder if that's what it's like to be on a mission... I've always been afraid of "sales" because I didn't feel like it was something I could do, but I felt comfortable with this. It really just felt like we were just getting to know people and trying to help them out. Sarah thought I did really well, and told the CEO, Ed, that I was great at talking to the customers. I had an interview with him at the end of the day, and he really seemed to like me, too. The position starts as sales, and you work to progress from Entry Level, to Leader/Trainer, to Assistant Manager, and then to Manager. It's about 50 hours a week, which is really intimidating. That's how much Mitchell was working and it seemed like he was always gone. The second phase is entirely commissioned-based pay, and you're required to make at least $500 a week, but she said the average is around $800 a week. Sarah has been with the company about 2 years and is just about to become an Assistant Manager, so that's an idea of how quickly you can progress. Towards the end of the day, she did mention an administrative position that she felt would be good for me and she was going to mention that to Ed when she talked with him about my performance. I should get a call Monday or Tuesday to find out if they want to hire me. I'm excited because I think it would be an amazing opportunity for growth and learning, but I'm a little scared as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment